Getting Past the Gatekeeper — Instead of fighting to get past the front desk person, build a relationship with them. Often highly motivated and under-valued, these office “gatekeepers” are going places, and if you play your cards right, they’ll take you along for the ride.
Here are the action steps to build a relationship with the gatekeeper:
1. Assess the front desk. Smile.
2. Introduce yourself to the gatekeeper by name and shake hands.
3. Be a human being, not a sales auto-pilot. Build a relationship.
-Ask, “How is your day going?”And LISTEN.
– Observe the desk. Cute kid? Find a connection and start a conversation.
4. Gather intel and show interest. Ask, “How is your company different in your industry?” Show the gatekeeper you value their opinion.
5. Tell the gatekeeper what you do, and how you’re different in your industry. Give them enough information to introduce you, not just send you blindly to a decision maker.
6. Nurture the relationship like you would with a client. If the gatekeeper has a good experience, they will recommend you. (And they tend to be motivated and well connected with other gatekeepers.)
Did you miss our last newsletter, Crucial Conversations? See it here: http://conta.cc/SBsSfa